Here are two more delicious recipes from the Low Cholesterol Cooking for Life cookbook.
Moussaka with crunchy topping
Great for casual entertaining. Prepare and cook this tasty moussaka in advance, then all you need do is reheat when you are ready to serve.
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g lean minced beef
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
40 g canned tomatoes (no added salt), undrained and mashed
2 tablespoons low salt soy sauce
1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 eggplant, thinly sliced
6 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed
1 tablespoon polyunsaturated margarine
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat a non-stick frypan. Cook onion, garlic, mince and rosemary over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, wine, sugar and nutmeg. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until mixture reduces and thickens slightly.
3. Steam or microwave eggplant for 2-3 minutes. Arrange layers of eggplant and mince mixture in a 16 cm x 28 cm lightly greased ovenproof dish, finishing with a layer of mince.
4. Spread bread slices with margarine and cut into large cubes. Place on top of moussaka. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese, bake at 180 degrees C for 30-35 minutes.
1534 kilojoules (367 calories) per serve
Fat 10.6 g med
Cholesterol 64 mg med
Fibre 5.1 g high
Sodium 423 mg high
I serve this with either crusty bread or salad.
In this dish the meat is gently simmered gi ving a hearty and wholesome dish.
500 g lean stewing veal
1 tablespoon polyunsaturated oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 close garlic, crushed
125 g button mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons ground paprika
1/2 teanspoon dried caraway seeds
2 large tomatoes, pooled and chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste (no added salt)
3/4 cup (190 ml) chicken stock
3 tablespoons dry white wine
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cornflour blended with 1/2 cup (125 g) low fat unflavoured yoghurt
1. Trim meat of all visible fat. Cut into 2.5 cm cubes and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add meat and cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing until browned on all sides.
3. Add paprika and caraway seeds and toss through meat mixture. Combine tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and wine and pour into pan. Season to taste with pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
4. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cornflour mixture. Cook over low heat for 3-4 minurtes or until sauce thickens.
897 kilojoules (215 calories) per serve
Fat 6.0 g med
Cholesterol 93 mg med
Fibre 3.9 g high
Sodium 127 mg low
I like to add either crusty bread or steamed rice to this recipe.