Braised lentils & sausages
This is a another quick, easy, cheap and healthy meal from http://www.taste.com.au/
It only uses two pans and takes 30 minutes preparation and cooking time so is great for busy families who are time poor.
Photography by Jeremy Simons
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, rinsed, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 375g pkt Peppercorn Extra Lean Italian-Style Sausages
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Cook onion, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in the lentils and tomato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Cook the sausages, turning occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the sausages to the lentil mixture and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through. Stir in the spinach and vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Top with parsley.
- Australian Good Taste – August 2011, Page 45
Recipe by Chrissy Freer