Here is a great quick, simple and healthy meal that is diabetes-friendly.
Diabetes-friendly penne boscaiola
Photography by Rob Palmer
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 375g dried wholemeal penne pasta
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 125g Primo 97% fat-free shaved leg ham, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 400g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup light cream for cooking
- 185ml can light and creamy evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, spray a large, deep non-stick frying-pan with oil. Place over medium-high heat. Add ham. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until golden. Add onion, mushroom and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mushroom has softened.
- Add wine. Cook for 2 minutes or until wine has reduced by half. Add cream, milk and chicken stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce has slightly reduced. Place cornflour and 3 teaspoons cold water in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Add cornflour mixture to cream mixture. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add pasta and parsley. Toss to combine. Serve.
Super Food Ideas – May 2011, Page 31
Recipe by Kim Merideth