A great soup recipe from http://www.taste.com.au . I sprinkled some grated parmesan cheese over the top and substituted yoghurt for the sour cream. It also tastes delicious without anything added to the pesto and with garlic bread. Very warming. Takes 15 minutes to cook and serves 4.
Recipe by Chrissy Freer
Photography by Rob Palmer
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 450g broccoli, cut into florets
- 75g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 90g (1/3 cup) light sour cream
- 1 tbs bought basil pesto
- Fresh basil sprigs, to serve
- Crusty bread slices, to serve
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Add onion and stir for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add stock and potato. Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach. Simmer for 1 minute or until just wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Add basil leaves. Blend one-third of mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat twice with remaining mixture. Cook soup over medium heat for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine sour cream and pesto in a bowl. Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto cream and basil sprigs. Serve with bread.