This recipe from http://www.taste.com.au is delicious, easy to make and economical. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper and/or some dried chilli. I use tasty cheese rather than mozzarella for more taste, but it is also delicious with mozzarella and children love the stringy consistency. Great for using up leftovers and good for a BBQ or party dish. Serves 4.
Recipe by Cathie Lonnie
Photography by Rob Palmer
- 4 rashers middle bacon, trimmed, finely chopped
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Combine mashed potato, egg yolk, onion, bacon and 1/4 cup flour in a large bowl. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into 20 balls. Push 1 cheese cube into the centre of each ball. Mould mixture around cheese to enclose.
- Place remaining flour on a plate. Place breadcrumbs on another plate. Whisk egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Roll croquettes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture. Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook croquettes, in batches, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Serve with salad.