Here is a very quick, easy , economical and delicious vegetarian recipe from http://www.taste.com.au. Great for the whole family or for children’s lunches or picnics. You can substitute sweet potato, onion, mushrooms and/or corn, broccoli for variety. Makes 12 fingers. You will want to eat it all yourself!
Recipe by Jan Purser
Photography by Mark O’Meara
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 tsp light olive oil
- 80g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) grated green zucchini
- 60g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) Grated carrot
- 50g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) grated parsnip
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed,finely chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 40g (1/3 cup) coarsely grated jarlsberg or tasty cheese
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs plain flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a shallow, square 18.5cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrot, parsnip and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Combine vegetable mixture, egg, cheese, parsley and flour in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Lift frittata from pan and place on a plate to cool completely. Cut into 12 fingers to serve.