This is another delicious recipe from http://www.taste.com. au. It is lemon meringue with a twist – combining low fat yoghurt with light cream to lower the fat content. Another bonus is that it tastes delicious! For variety you could use Vaalia strawberry or raspberry (with addition of some fresh berries). Tastes scrumptious and is much healthier than the traditional full cream version. Serves 4.
Australian Good Taste – September 2011 , Page 91
Recipe by Kerrie Ray
Photography by Steve Brown
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 x 150g ctns Vaalia Low Fat Lemon
- 80ml (1/3 cup) light thickened cream
- 2-3 passionfruit, halved, pulp removed
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Draw four 8cm discs on each lined tray. Turn the paper ink-side down.
- Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl until firm peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time, beating constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Divide mixture among discs and use the back of a spoon to smooth surfaces. Bake for 30 minutes or until pale golden and slightly crisp. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in the oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
- Place the yoghurt and cream in separate bowls. Use an electric beater to beat the cream until thick. Use a large metal spoon to fold the cream into the yoghurt.
- Divide half the meringue discs between 4 plates. Top with half the yoghurt mixture. Top with the remaining meringue discs and remaining yoghurt. Top with passionfruit pulp.